Network Attached Storage (NAS) is high-capacity storage that connects to your home or office network so that you and other trusted users can access your files from mobile devices and PCs without physically plugging into the drive. NAS systems are flexible, meaning that as you need additional storage, you can add on to what you have. NAS is similar to having a private cloud in the office. It’s faster, less expensive, and provides all the benefits of a public cloud, only it gives you such access onsite at your home or office. This level of control can be beneficial, especially when restoring large volumes of data to the speed of locally attached storage devices versus your Internet bandwidth speeds which are much slower for data transfers.
With a NAS system, data is continually accessible, making it easy for employees to collaborate, respond to customers in a timely fashion, and promptly follow up on sales or other issues because the information is in one place. Because NAS is like a private cloud, data may be accessed remotely using a network connection, meaning employees can work anywhere, anytime.
What does this mean for an SMB?
Additional SMB Cybersecurity minimum essential Recommendations
There are other actions you should take to protect your business from potential attacks and harm including:
- Adopt a password manager for better personal/work password hygiene
- Require two-factor authentication on any SaaS solution or critical accounts
- Require 14+ character Passwords in your Governance Policies
- Train employees to spot and avoid email-based phishing attacks
- Check that employees can spot and avoid phishing emails by testing them
- Backup data using the 3-2-1 method
- Incorporate the Principle of Least Privilege
- Perform a risk assessment every two to three years
To learn more about Network Attached Storage (NAS), watch this short 5-minute video:
PCMag – Best NAS Devices for 2021
CyberHoot does have some other resources available for your use. Below are links to all of our resources, feel free to check them out whenever you like:
- Cybrary (Cyber Library)
- Press Releases
- Instructional Videos (HowTo) – very helpful for our SuperUsers!
Note: If you’d like to subscribe to our newsletter, visit any link above (besides infographics) and enter your email address on the right-hand side of the page, and click ‘Send Me Newsletters’.