Secure your business with CyberHoot Today!!!
Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR), also referred to as Endpoint Detection and Threat Response (EDTR), is an endpoint security solution that continuously monitors end-user devices to detect and respond to cyber threats like ransomware and malware.
EDR security solutions record the activities and events taking place on endpoints and their workloads, providing security teams with the visibility they need to uncover incidents that might otherwise be missed. An EDR solution needs to provide continuous and comprehensive visibility into what is happening on endpoints in real-time.
An EDR tool should offer advanced threat detection, investigation, and response capabilities; including incident data search and investigation alert triage, suspicious activity validation, threat hunting, and malicious activity detection and containment.
What does this mean for an SMB?
EDR services go beyond traditional unmonitored Antivirus systems to provide near-real-time detection of critical events and in some cases stop the attack in its tracks. In other cases, EDR services sound the alarm and automate a response with instant remote access to take control of a potentially hostile machine in your network. Some vendors listed below, monitor for ransomware attacks and suggest they can interrupt or prevent encryption events from occurring to begin with. If true, this would be a step above and beyond traditional AV solutions on the market as they don’t always prevent a ransomware event from happening. Several popular vendors offer EDR capabilities either as standalone products or as part of a service package:
- McAfee MVision EDR is a cloud-native EDR tool with AI-guided investigation capabilities.
- CrowdStrike Falcon Insight offers high visibility and endpoint-security-posture analysis with crowdsourced information gathering to help detect and mitigate attacks.
- VMware Carbon Black Cloud Endpoint is a cloud next-generation antivirus product with cloud EDR behavioral analytics.
- Broadcom EDR can be used with the Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) suite or as a dissolvable agent.
- FireEye Endpoint Security tool offers EDR capabilities and can perform automated response and management using behavioral analysis and indicators of compromise.
- Several open-source tools exist, but they may require extensive configuration or additional systems to be full-featured. These tools include:
Endpoint detection and response tools enable organizations to continually monitor endpoints and servers to spot potentially malicious behaviors and in some cases prevent them from occurring. Effective EDR tools can detect and respond to these events to mitigate damage to the endpoint and the wider network.
Additional Cybersecurity Recommendations
Additionally, these recommendations below will help you and your business stay secure with the various threats you may face on a day-to-day basis. All of the suggestions listed below can be gained by hiring CyberHoot’s vCISO Program development services.
- Govern employees with policies and procedures. You need a password policy, an acceptable use policy, an information handling policy, and a written information security program (WISP) at a minimum.
- Train employees on how to spot and avoid phishing attacks. Adopt a Learning Management system like CyberHoot to teach employees the skills they need to be more confident, productive, and secure.
- Test employees with Phishing attacks to practice. CyberHoot’s Phish testing allows businesses to test employees with believable phishing attacks and put those that fail into remedial phish training.
- Deploy critical cybersecurity technology including two-factor authentication on all critical accounts. Enable email SPAM filtering, validate backups, deploy DNS protection, antivirus, and anti-malware on all your endpoints.
- In the modern Work-from-Home era, make sure you’re managing personal devices connecting to your network by validating their security (patching, antivirus, DNS protections, etc) or prohibiting their use entirely.
- If you haven’t had a risk assessment by a 3rd party in the last 2 years, you should have one now. Establishing a risk management framework in your organization is critical to addressing your most egregious risks with your finite time and money.
- Buy Cyber-Insurance to protect you in a catastrophic failure situation. Cyber-Insurance is no different than Car, Fire, Flood, or Life insurance. It’s there when you need it most.
All of these recommendations are built into CyberHoot the product or CyberHoot’s vCISO Services. With CyberHoot you can govern, train, assess, and test your employees. Visit CyberHoot.com and sign up for our services today. At the very least continue to learn by enrolling in our monthly Cybersecurity newsletters to stay on top of current cybersecurity updates.
To learn more about Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR), watch this short 2-minute video:
CyberHoot does have some other resources available for your use. Below are links to all of our resources, feel free to check them out whenever you like:
- Cybrary (Cyber Library)
- Press Releases
- Instructional Videos (HowTo) – very helpful for our SuperUsers!
Note: If you’d like to subscribe to our newsletter, visit any link above (besides infographics) and enter your email address on the right-hand side of the page, and click ‘Send Me Newsletters’.