On-Access Scanning refers to a security tool configured to deliver real-time scans of each file for malware as the file is downloaded, opened, or executed. Many different vendors offer on-access scanners that monitor all system activity and automatically scan files that have been downloaded from the Internet or through e-mail. In order for an anti-virus or anti-malware solution to be effective, it’s essential that malware is detected and blocked before it causes damage.
What does this mean for an SMB?
Your SMB should be using a form of On-Access Scanning on your systems to help detect malicious files being downloaded accidentally. Anti-virus and Anti-malware solutions are easy to get and install for your company, with many great free and paid options to use. Modern antivirus solutions (sometimes known as Next Generation AV) also perform some heuristical protection that operates outside of the signatures and looks at the behaviors of files operating on the computer in question. It is best practice to combine both in the protection of your IT assets whether workstation or Server.
In addition to scanning for threats, CyberHoot recommends the following best practices to protect individuals and businesses against, and limit damages from, online cyber attacks:
- Adopt two-factor authentication on all critical Internet-accessible services
- Adopt a password manager for better personal/work password hygiene
- Require 14+ character Passwords in your Governance Policies
- Follow a 3-2-1 backup method for all critical and sensitive data
- Train employees to spot and avoid email-based phishing attacks
- Check that employees can spot and avoid phishing emails by testing them
- Document and test Business Continuity Disaster Recovery (BCDR) plans
- Perform a risk assessment every two to three years
Start building your robust, defense-in-depth cybersecurity plan today with CyberHoot.
CyberHoot does have some other resources available for your use. Below are links to all of our resources, feel free to check them out whenever you like:
- Cybrary (Cyber Library)
- Press Releases
- Instructional Videos (HowTo) – very helpful for our SuperUsers!
Note: If you’d like to subscribe to our newsletter, visit any link above (besides infographics) and enter your email address on the right-hand side of the page, and click ‘Send Me Newsletters’.