Network Segmentation is creating sub-networks within a corporate, enterprise, or another large network. When done correctly, network segmentation helps containment malware and other threat actors who might breach your network. This can also be very beneficial to the efficiency of a network’s performance. Network segmentation is a prescribed requirement for networks containing Payment Card Industry data (PCI). Network segmentation is an important cybersecurity protective measure that is usually part of any robust defense-in-depth cybersecurity program.
Network Segmentation technology is used when utilizing Private Virtual Local Area Networks (PVLANs). PVLANs operate at layer 2, allowing for separate sub-networks, or private VLANs under the main VLAN. By applying PVLANs in a shared network environment, it improves switch port security within layer 2 by only allowing those within a sub-network to communicate with each other. It also can prevent any one PVLAN from knowing of the existence of any other PVLAN. This can greatly reduce attack surfaces and limit lateral movement following a breach of a single machine.
What Does This Mean For My SMB or MSP?
Firewalls are commonly deployed in SMB’s with Wireless Network capabilities that allow you to physically and logically segregate guest Wi-Fi networks from trusted Wi-Fi networks. Make sure you tie your Trusted Wi-Fi network into your Active Directory user accounts (using Radius) instead of a static password. This eliminates a common risk of terminated employees sitting on your trusted Wi-Fi network in the Parking lot to siphon off sensitive data or cause additional harm to your company.
Additional Cybersecurity Recommendations
Additionally, these recommendations below will help you and your business stay secure with the various threats you may face on a day-to-day basis. All of the suggestions listed below can be gained by hiring CyberHoot’s vCISO Program development services.
- Govern employees with policies and procedures. You need a password policy, an acceptable use policy, an information handling policy, and a written information security program (WISP) at a minimum.
- Train employees on how to spot and avoid phishing attacks. Adopt a Learning Management system like CyberHoot to teach employees the skills they need to be more confident, productive, and secure.
- Test employees with Phishing attacks to practice. CyberHoot’s Phish testing allows businesses to test employees with believable phishing attacks and put those that fail into remedial phish training.
- Deploy critical cybersecurity technology including two-factor authentication on all critical accounts. Enable email SPAM filtering, validate backups, deploy DNS protection, antivirus, and anti-malware on all your endpoints.
- In the modern Work-from-Home era, make sure you’re managing personal devices connecting to your network by validating their security (patching, antivirus, DNS protections, etc) or prohibiting their use entirely.
- If you haven’t had a risk assessment by a 3rd party in the last 2 years, you should have one now. Establishing a risk management framework in your organization is critical to addressing your most egregious risks with your finite time and money.
- Buy Cyber-Insurance to protect you in a catastrophic failure situation. Cyber-Insurance is no different than Car, Fire, Flood, or Life insurance. It’s there when you need it most.
All of these recommendations are built into CyberHoot the product or CyberHoot’s vCISO Services. With CyberHoot you can govern, train, assess, and test your employees. Visit CyberHoot.com and sign up for our services today. At the very least continue to learn by enrolling in our monthly Cybersecurity newsletters to stay on top of current cybersecurity updates.
If you would like more information on this topic, watch this short video:
CyberHoot does have some other resources available for your use. Below are links to all of our resources, feel free to check them out whenever you like:
- CyberHoot’s Blog
- Cybrary (Cyber Library)
- Infographics by CyberHoot
- CyberHoot’s Monthly Newsletters
- CyberHoot Press Releases
- CyberHoot Platform Instructional Videos (HowTo) – very helpful for our Super Users!
Note: If you’d like to subscribe to our newsletter, visit any link above (besides infographics) and enter your email address on the right-hand side of the page, and click ‘Send Me Newsletters’. Sign up for the monthly newsletter to help CyberHoot with its mission of making the world ‘More Aware and More Secure!’