A Test Oracle is a mechanism for determining whether the program has passed or failed a test. The use of test oracles involves comparing the output of the system under test, for a given test-case input, to the output that the oracle determines that product should have. A test oracle can be any of the following:
- a program (separate from the system under test) which takes the same input and produces the same output
- documentation that gives specific correct outputs for specific given inputs
- a documented algorithm that a human could use to calculate correct outputs for given inputs
- a human domain expert who can somehow look at the output and tell whether it is correct
- or any other way of telling that output is correct.
Additional Reading: Pen Testing is Not A Luxury And Why You Can’t Afford to Ignore It
What does this mean for an SMB?
If you aren’t proactively reinforcing your cybersecurity measures, there’s a good chance you’ll fall prey to the attacks of cybercriminals. Running a penetration test, can help you address this threat. Pen testing can strengthen your cybersecurity and help you get rid of most of your network’s security gaps.